Home WT.Social Forums WT.Social Forum ENGLISH WT:SOCIAL – NEW RIVAL TO FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

What do you think about the new social media?

PaDi
      Participant

I like it

Liluka
      Participant

Only available in English? Because I am Hungarian and my English is not correkt 🙂

Ponytail
      Participant

OMG, it is a brilliant idea ! I don’t like facebook

Greig593
      Participant

The facebook is over…..

Solaris
      Participant

Social media platforms don’t need to replace each other necessarily, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn (sigh) all function independent of each other. They have enough user base that they’re sustainable.I can’t imagine WT killing Facebook

PaDi
      Participant

I think one thing to make it more facebooky is that people use real names. Reddit is almost entirely anonymous so it’s all topic based and nothing to do with “here’s my vacation pictures.”

Greig593
      Participant

Do you think WT: Social has any chance to pull users from Facebook?

Ponytail
      Participant

In short, no 🙂

Secret
      Participant

Yes! I am working on it…. 😛 😀 😀

PaDi
      Participant

Yes, of course it will. There’s a limit to how much it can grow before it declines. People will grow bored of it, eventually. It may take 5 years, 10 years, perhaps even 20 years. But someday, there will be a “next big thing” that everybody jumps on, and Facebook will be a nice antiquity of the past.

Anonymous
      Inactive

It’s very hard to beat Facebook by all means, so I can’t really imagine any revolutionary scenario around WT, BUT I always welcome new ideas and I’m curious what will happen 🙂

sure, me too 🙂

Douglas
      Participant

FB has a very shallow, very narrow moat around its business. It is a technology company in the same way pets.com was: they have a web server (yeah, more than one). The business has a market capitalization approaching $600 Billion, with revenues based not on innovation but advertising revenues and the sale of harvested personal information. Someone will build a better social network, or something similar, and FB will collapse. It could begin with the next revelation over their abuse of personal data.

GovindCodes
      Participant

It could be a challenger if it does something like the early days of Reddit, aggregating content and attracting more users. It could do with a couple of UI tweaks and probably a Android app too. So, Mr.Jimmy Wales, are you looking for developers? Because we could try creating an awesome online community for building this as open-source.
      I do hope the ad-targetting social networks do reduce, and community funded ones can raise up and take over the market.

StraightArrow
      Participant

Splendid idea. Why the hell not? Go for it.
      w

StraightArrow
      Participant

…isn’t the answer ….entirely too soon to tell? …..
      w

StraightArrow
      Participant

…. better get easier to use pretty quick before any momentum peters out and …. well you know ….
      ..w

MaxRosan
      Participant

My first WT:Social post!

I have always liked Wikipedia, and I do donate $$ to them every year. I like the founders’ concept of user involvement in WP. There were those in the early days that said it could never work, never last, and yet it has. Some colleges and universities have begun to accept Wikipedia-based articles as legitimate, with proper citations. I appreciate that WP carries no advertisements.

I have been a Facebook member for 10 years now. I like it. So many of my friends are on it, and, I have become reacquainted with former high school students I once taught long ago, and formerly long lost family members. There is something positive to be said for an Internet based social network as large as FB. We shall see the growth of WT, or not. Some things don’t catch on as expected. I hope that it does.

Something that many folks might not realize is that there are still pockets of population in the U.S. (and as well, around the world) that live in remote rural areas not served by telephone or broadband Internet. I live in such an area. I have a cell phone, but it is of no use here because there is no cellular service. And no broadband. My Internet connection is via satellite up and down, as is the Internet service for many of my neighbors here. That’s what I’m using right now. After I click “submit”, my data packets will go through my satellite modem, out to the dish, then 28,000 miles up to the “bird” (satellite), then repeated 28,000 miles back down to earth to an Internet gateway somewhere, and finally, to anyone reading this message. It’s pretty magic. It’s also pretty expensive 🙁

So, with no phone, I keep in touch with my friends and neighbors who also choose to live in and around this remote area, and others living in the cities via Facebook messenger, or email. We’ll have to see how many flock to WT:Social. I’ll still keep my FB account running. As far as so-called “clickbait”, it doesn’t really apply to me because I never click, so I take no bait. I’m a savvy surfer on the ‘net.

Thinking back on the evolution of the Internet (the public version, not DARPA), I remember moving from dial-up BBS (bulletin board services) to browser-based Internet when AOL came out. If you’re old enough, you may remember those endless CDs showing up in your post box inviting you to join AOL for… what was it, $7/month? Can’t remember. Steve Case was the CEO, and I can remember emailing him about a problem I was having with AOL, and he personally replied. I also remember when he sent out a bulk email, announcing with great joy that AOL had achieved a membership of 10,000! Whoa! I still kept up with my BBS dial-up accounts, but AOL was the new force in town. The BBS often required long distance telephone charges, whereas AOL with it’s web browser utility did not. It wasn’t long before the vast majority of BBS sites went away. There are still a few with toll-free phone numbers for those still on dial-up.

So, the evolution of the Internet user experience in a nutshell. I will be active here on WT, and will look forward to others coming aboard. I will spread the news at our tiny town post office tomorrow. That’s our “nerve center” of the town. Which, BTW, is Darwin, CA. Look it up just for fun.

Namaste, Max

PeculiarLisa
      Participant

I’ve been trying to quit FB for a while, and this was the catalyst I needed.

Truden
      Participant

The idea for alternative of Facebook is not new, but forum platform won’t do the job.
      People are used to the already established model of having public and private space in one platform.
      I hope that WT:SOCIAL will evolve and move to more flexible and open CMS.
      Platform based on WordPress with bbpress forums is doomed to failure.

Setlec
      Participant

Social media platforms don’t need to replace each other necessarily, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn (sigh) all function independent of each other. They have enough user base that they’re sustainable.I can’t imagine WT killing Facebook

Reddit isn’t a social platform, imo. it’s a BBS or forum if you wish. Twitter is some sort of a BBS mixed with instant messaging. Facebook, linkedin, Orkut (a predecessor to google+ ) that didn’t make much success internationally speaking.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.