Home WT.Social Forums WT.Social Forum ENGLISH Readers (fans) of Science Fiction/Fantasy?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Kallisti
      Participant

Greetings:

Giving this new place a checkout, and thought I would bring up one of my favourite topics, Science Fiction & Fantasy books, short novels, novellas, short stories, etc…the

• written
    • form of SF&F. I am looking for intelligent conversation, not how cute some baby alien is. 🙂

So…read any good SF&F books lately? I just read Marie Bilodeau’s

Hell Born

. It’s not “deep” novel, but it is lots of fun, and I am looking forward to the next book in the series to come out! Do you like light, enjoyable SF&F, or do you only read Serious, Concerned (Sercon) SF&F?

thanx.

Xavier Breath
    Participant

I like hard SF. Nothing against fantasy – Lord of the Rings is great! – but almost all SF is fantasy. Strange things happening to people for no reason. I like fiction that tells me what it would be like to live in a strange and interesting place.

Kallisti
    Participant

For the longest time, I was hard SF only, but in the past few decades, I have softened and expanded to Fantasy. Then there are works that border on both, like Anne McCaffery’s Dragonriders books.

anastasia overton
    Participant

Who here has read Lois McMasters Bujold’s Vorkosigan series?
    It’s a rare gem, the hero is crippled, the action is nonstop, and her style is fluid, both technicalally strong and emotionally moving.

Stizzleswick
    Participant

Well, I may be a little out of date here, but I think highly of pretty much all of the Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle collaborations (also a huge fan of the Known Space stories), some of which I have recently re-read. For a relatively new author, I would recommend Brenda Cooper, and not because of her Niven collaborations but on her own merits.

LisaSky
    Participant

I really enjoyed The Goblin Emperor, which I think would qualify as fantasy?

M.D.Nye
    Participant

Reading “City of Stairs” at the moment. Slow start, but it’s getting better. A combination of dystopian SF and fantasy, with a dash of Neil Gaiman thrown in.

photoTed
    Participant

I enjoy SF written by scientists who extrapolate their understanding to a future state. Alastair Reynolds fits that bill for me. Vernor Vinge is another. The latter comes up with some imaginative ideas and constructs. In “A Fire Upon The Deep” he has different laws of physics as you move up from the plane of a galaxy, so for example, faster-than-light travel is possible far above the galaxy disk and as you descend to the disk you start to enter “the slowness”.

Is this what one would call “hard SF”?

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by photoTed.
  • Viewing 7 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.